Tuesday 27 May 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi | *Spoiler Free Review*


Title: Shatter Me
Series: Shatter Me Trilogy
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publishing Date: 16 October 2012
Description:   
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
So many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Review:
 Shatter Me is incredibly fast paced, and you could easily read this within a couple of days, if not a day. Mafi's writing style is beautiful, easy to get in to and quick to read. There are so many poetic quotes that you can pull from this book that are not only beautiful but relevant to the world we live  in today.

The book is driven more by characters than plot but there are some plot developments that move the book along. Also, the book seems to focus more on the romance (which was a little insta-love-y if you ask me) rather than the struggles of the dystopian world. 

Juliette could get a little annoying, but I did love the narrative style she had and I found her powers and personality intriguing. 

I really liked Adam from the start. He is just a likable character with seemingly good intentions. He didn't annoy me in the slightest, and I found myself #TeamAdam. 

Warner was an interesting character. I hated him at first, as you are supposed to but I did begin to find him intriguing as the book went on. I want to know more about him, which is one of the reasons I want to pick up the next books so quickly. 

Kenji, the last character I talk about today, is hilarious. I has heard that he was a brilliant side character from various reviews, and they were not lying. From the second he made his book debut I was sold. I think he adds necessary humor and lightness to the novel and he helps move everything along plot wise.

While I did love Shatter Me, I can see the next two books and accompanying novella's being even better. I've managed to avoid spoilers for them all but I think now we have a world to be invested in and characters that we know a little, the other books could be amazing! 


Let me know if you want a spoiler/discussion type post for this book, and if you've read it what did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I love a good series of books this sounds fab!!! #booklove

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love dystopian novels, will definitely add this one to the list! It sounds like an intriguing concept. Thank you for linking with Book Love :)

    ReplyDelete