Monday 27 January 2014

The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare *Spoiler Free*


Title: 
Clockwork Angel

Author: 
Cassandra Clare
Series:
The Infernal Devices 
Book Number: 
1

Description: 
Magic is dangerous - but love is more dangerous still... When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refuge with the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself fascinated by - and torn between - two best friends, and quickly realizes that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.
Rating: 
**** 


While a little slow to start, I did enjoy the book. The first half was a slow read, but I found that with the first two of the Mortal Instruments as well. The first half, for me, was more about getting to know the characters which isn't nearly as fast paced or grabbing as the latter half in which you see some action. Had the entire book had the pacing of the last half, this would easily be 5 stars but because it was a little slow to start I've knocked off a point. 

There are characters that I both loved and loathed, but I like that. While the book is set in a place that is not only in the past but in a world that obviously doesn't exist it is the human characters and characteristics that make this relatable. There are just the right amount connections to a world people know, and some great connection to the shadow world we learnt about during the Mortal Instruments.

The writing is great, and the pacing is good. Even the slow section of this book is fast compared to others I have read. I managed this in about a week, which for a 400+ page book is good for me. I tend to be a slow reader, and my spare time is few and far between. 

If you haven't read this book,  I would suggest it. If you have check out my spoiler review and discussion. It will be up on Wednesday, so be sure to check back or here.

2 comments: