Tuesday 20 August 2013

Judging Books By there Covers #1 | A Little Bit of Literature

Today, I confess a sin. I judge books by the cover. I wish I was sorry, but I'm not. I've found some of my favourite books through this sin. I've found some terrible ones too. 

The cover of a book is the first thing you see. It's the first point of judgement, before the blurb or front cover. A bad cover can stop, me at the very least, even looking at the blurb. An amazing cover can sell me the book without me even reading the synopsis. 

So, today I bring you a post of my favorite covers from books I've seen.  Some I've read and some I'm just lusting after, ALOT! 
 
image sources: 1, 2, 3

Slated by Teri Terry 

I can't say what it is about this book cover that makes me lust after it. Normally books with just a face don't appeal to me, but this one does. I think it might be the slightly vintage look to the image, alongside the title slicing right through the middle of the picture. I just really want to know more about this book, so I think I'm going to pick it up when I'm done with the current lists of TBRs. 

Necessary Lies by Diane Chamerlain  

I think it's the bright pops of yellow that makes the appeal so much, to me at the very least. It doesn't give too much away about the plot of the book, or what the book could even be about which intrigued me. It makes me want to read the blurb for more info on the book. It also reminds me of Jodi Picoult books which I'm a huge fan of. 


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Is this not just incredibly haunting? Books like this don't usually appeal to me. Anything involving children, especially something supposedly creepy or anything like that, freaks me out like nothing else. Saying that, there is something eeire about this cover, and it really appeals to me. This books is definitely on my wishlist.



image sources: 1, 2, 3

 

Paper Towns by John Green 

I'm not sure why I adore this cover quite as much as I do but I will have to get this as a physical book rather than on my kindle just to admire the cover. It hold my attention, and makes me really want to read it. The fact it's a John Green novel probably helps too. 

Twilight Saga (White Covers) by Stephenie Meyer 

The Twilight Saga is probably the only series of books I will ever own two of, and these covers are the reason why I own two sets. I read the series when Breaking Dawn just hit shelves, so no white covers were about, but as soon as these white covers with the red edging hit Waterstones, I knew I had to have them. My mother kindly brought me three for my birthday, and I got the final book for myself soon after. I just need The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner to complete my collection. 

Shiver  by Maggie Stiefvater

The red, white and black colour combo is really simple. The branches and leaves add somewhat of a complexity to the cover. I think if this had any more colour it wouldn't work, any less and it wouldn't be as appealing. It's not just the copy of the Twilight books like so many books are trying to do now, and after reading the book you can place the colours and images you see on the cover. I love this cover, I brought this because of the cover and stayed true to the series to the end because Miss

No comments:

Post a Comment